Divorced parents owe it to their children to put their best effort forward when it comes to dealing with the other parent. Here are a few tips to help you co-parent effectively:
1) Consider The Best Interests of the Child: look through your child’s eyes.
2) Integrity: honor your agreements. Do what you said you were going to do. Be respectful. No power struggles. Be a good role model for your child(ren).
3) Healthy Communication: Be brief, be friendly, be informative, come up with options that the other parent may find agreeable. No threats, sarcasm, criticism.
4) Maintain Boundaries regarding the other parents’ time, space, privacy, new relationships, career.
5) Manage Your Emotions: don’t let the other parent push your buttons…disengage when necessary.
6) Be Responsible.
7) Be Cooperative.
8) Focus on the Future: don’t dwell on what you believe happened in the past.
Next, I will blog about the behaviors you shouldn't do as divorced/separated parents.